Tuesday, August 2, 2022


It Ends With Us follows the main character Lily, who has had a rough childhood growing up– domestic violence isn’t easy on the soul. She meets Ryle, a neurosurgeon that also had a traumatizing childhood. Sparks fly between the two, and suddenly Lily feels her life is way too good to be true. However, many bumps come along the way and IN the way of their relationship. Will their relationship last? Will there be any parallels to Lily’s childhood and her love life?

I rated It Ends With Us, by Colleen Hoover a 4/5. I bought this book after my two cousins (who bought it months before me), and I finished it before them (in two days)! This is the first (but definitely not the last) book I have read by Colleen Hoover, and I was very touched by the message the book left. To be completely honest though, I don’t know if something’s wrong with me, but I didn’t cry at all when reading it– I DO understand why one would cry, however. I finished the book not really liking it because I had to let it hit me after a couple of days, and since then, I have not expected it to affect me in such a way! The subtle yet important messages written had me questioning my future life and what decisions I make at a certain point in time will affect my life later on. Although contemporary, the way Atlas and Lily met and ending up together years later was a bit… not realistic, and the contrast between Ryle and Atlas made the ending VERY SLIGHTLY obvious. Overall, I highly recommend this book, but if you are sensitive to topics of domestic violence, rape, and so one, don’t push yourself to.

Reviewed by Anon, Grade 11

Montrose Library  

3 comments:

Melissa said...

This book follows the story of Lily and her love life. She is a young, impressionable adult living in Boston. Her father has passed away and she meets a man named Ryle. He sweeps her off her feet as we discover her previous life before him. Her first love, Atlas, helped her through a rough time in her life where she witnessed her mother being abused by her father. They both helped each other as Atlas was homeless. Lily enjoys her new life in Boston as she makes new friends, opens a flower shop, and deepens her relationship with Ryle. Everything changes, however, when Ryle hits Lily and all the memories of what her father did to her mother come flooding back. Things get even more complicated when Atlas shows up in Boston and sees Lily with another man. The rest of the story follows Lily's decisions regarding what she will do with Ryle and her complicated past resurfacing.

I loved the book. To me, it is true what everyone says about this book. Many told me to read it and I'm glad I listened. This book made me cry, smile, and put life into perspective for me. Though I loved this book, I don't think it should be romanticized. Yes, there is romance, but the majority of it is very abusive. I definitely would not recommend this book if you have had issues with abuse in the past or get easily triggered. Colleen Hoover knows how to write lovable characters that the audience roots for. Though I don't usually give books a perfect rating, I gave this one a 10/10. I loved it but can understand how it might be difficult to get through. Personally, I finished it within two days because I was so invested. It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. I cannot stress enough how amazing the writing style and plot twists were. There are also memorable quotes that I will always remember. The end of the book was slightly frustrating. I do not think it should have ended the way it did, though I can respect the author's writing choices. I would definitely read it again but don't think it's for everyone. People under the age of 15 have no business reading it in my opinion.

Reviewed by Anonymous, Grade 11
Glendale Central Library

Melissa said...

Lily moved to Boston after graduating college and she opens her own flower business. She meets Ryle Kincaid, a neurosurgeon, who has a “no dating rule” but continued to make advances at Lily. They soon start to form a relationship, however after a while problems start to arise in their relationship. One day, her old friend and first love Atlas Corrigan reappears and this starts to make Lily’s and Ryle’s relationship even more complicated and toxic.

I enjoyed reading this book because it showed the other side of relationships. People don’t always find the love of their life and live a happy life, some people find themselves involved in a very toxic relationship. I liked that it raised awareness of toxic environments and reasons why people might find themselves not being able to leave a relationship even though they know that they should. This book made me cry and it made me feel angry at the main character for the way he was treating the person he loved. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a very well written book and the message behind it is very valuable. I believe that everyone would enjoy this book and the author’s style of writing.

Reviewed by PM, Grade 12
Glendale Central Library

Melissa said...

It Ends with Us is about a woman named Lily Bloomthat ironically opens her own floral business. She goes on to find interested in an anesthesiologist Ryle Kincaid, who makes it clear he doesn't wants serious relationship at first. As their relationship blossoms, Lily has a sudden encounter with her first love, Atlas Corrigan. With this “love triangle” being brought to life, readers will experience a turn of events with how Ryle starts to treat Lily and the realitires of a toxic relationship.

This book is an incredibly heavy read, however it is something that I recommend to everyone due to the fact that this is the reality for many people around the world. Abuse in relationships is such a taboo topic that everyone has their own opinion on. Before this book I used to get so upset at people who stay in toxic relationships like Lily and Ryle. However, I've come to learn it isn't as simple as I thought and the amount of layers it takes to understand a relationship like that is overwhelming. After reading this novel I have come to read many of COllen Hoovers books, but this one still steals the cake to being her best novel in my opinion.

Reviewed by Ariana G., Grade 11
Montrose Library