Tuesday, August 2, 2022

A Court of Thorns and Roses, by Sarah J. Maas


A Court of Thorns and Roses is set in a fantasy world, following a huntress named Feyre and how she gets through her life. Struggling to support her family which consists of two sisters and a father, she kills a faerie who shapeshifted as a wolf. Not too long after, a beast (also a faerie shapeshifter) named Tamlin arrives and demands that Feyre will be taken back to his land with her as compensation–permanently. The story continues with their emerging complex relationship. However, something evil is lurking over the faerie courts and Feyre must find a way to save Tamlin and his people.

This book literally got me out of a 4-year reading slump. Before picking up A Court of Thorns and Roses, by Sarah J. Maas, I never imagined myself to be a fantasy reader, and the fact that I finished the book in less than two days kind of says something, don’t you think? I kid you not I have gone through every emotion possible to experience when reading this book. The characters become very well developed and the vivid imagery that this author manages to create make certain scenes all the better if you know what I mean ;). There were romantic and steamy scenes throughout the book, and the action-heavy scenes were toward the end, which, in my opinion, worked pretty well considering the plot of the book. There is a bit of repetition here and there, but honestly, it was not a bother when I was reading. For the ending, it did have weak moments (I think you would know what I’m talking about if you got to that part ;)) but it wasn’t something unbearable. I was still content with how the book wrapped up. If you see yourself as someone who prefers fictional settings, action, enemies-to-lovers, and isn’t sensitive to spicy scenes, then this book is a perfect mix for you.

Reviewed by Anon, Grade 11

Montrose Library 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This book is a classic Beauty and The Beast Story. A human girl, Feyre, wandering in a forest kills a wolf to cloth her penniless family. A fae lord demands reparations and takes her captive to his estate. A curse plagues the land and Feyre fights to keep her new home safe from an evil fae queen, Amarantha. She also falls madly in with her captive, Tamlin. She fights to stay alive and fights for love in the fae realm while attempting to break the curse of the land.

I absolutely loved reading this book. It was worth all of the good reviews. I was in a 2-year long reading slump and this book, again, sparked my love of reading. I think if you are looking for a slow-burn romance, this is the book for you. Fans of fantasy will love this book as well. It made me feel like I was truly immersed in the story. I felt like the fearless, strong, main character. This book has a special place in my heart because it did get me back into reading. I would give it a 10/10 and could not recommend it enough. However, if you are not a fan of fantasy or romance, then you will not enjoy this read.

Reviewed by Emma, Grade 11
Glendale Central Library

Melissa said...

This book is about a girl named Feyre who lives in a village near a forest with her two older sisters and father. In order to help her family survive, she hunts in the forest. One day she sees a wolf in the forest trying to kill a deer and in order to get the deer for herself, she has to kill the deer. This has negative consequences when a faerie comes to her home and takes her back with him to his kingdom, known as the Spring Court. Feyre starts to fall in love with her captor but she soon realizes that this magical place is very dangerous. Feyre finds herself risking her life in order to break an old curse that has kept faeries captive Under the Mountain.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was very slow in the beginning but after a few chapters, it got very interesting. The book was really easy to understand and the world-building was amazing. I really liked how strong the main character Feyre was and her background story. I recommend this book to people who want to start reading fantasy books and love romance books. The book did an amazing job of describing what was happening and the setting. I loved that I was able to visualize the scenes and the places in my head. It captured my attention and made me feel like I was there with them. This was the first fantasy book that I read and it helped me get into the genre and want to read more fantasy books.

Reviewed by PM, Grade 12
Glendale Central Library