Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Summer I Turned Pretty, by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty, by Jenny Han, is a great read. Belly's life revolves around her summers, winter and other seasons mean counting down until the next summer. Every summer Belly and her family go and stay at a beach house with Susannah, her mother's friend, and Jeremiah and Conrad, her sons. Belly had known them since her first summer and they've been her brotherly figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, everything is different. Looks change, feelings change, and most importantly, health changes. Will they all return to the beach house next year? Becky's world is about to be turned around.

I personally don't enjoy novels that aren't in a series, but I must say I was quite pleased with this book. This was my first time reading a book by Jenny Hans and I am looking forward to devouring more of her books. There were a few unrealistic factors but you do overlook it when you are as into the story as I was. I also love how true the theme was. It proves that looks make a very big difference in the way people see you and treat you. Overall, it was a great read, and I recommend it to teen girls who enjoy being able to relate to the characters, and are looking for a calm read without a sequel.

-Reviewed by Kristine K, grade 9
Casa Verdugo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han is a story that shows what happens every summer when Belly, her mom, and her brother, Steven, go to Cousins, where Susannah (Belly's mom's best friend), and her sons Conrad and Jeremiah live. Belly has always had her dreams set for Conrad and she hopes that he will finally be hers this summer since she's changed since the summers before. But when she meets a new guy at a bonfire, she discovers that Jeremiah had he same feelings towards Belly as Belly did for Conrad. This summer was the summer that truly changed Belly's perspective towards everything she thought of. She had to make a choice that she might or might not regret.

In my opinion, I honestly can read this book almost twenty times and I will never get tired of it. This was the first ever book that I honestly liked the most out of every book I've read because this book made me see, as I was reading, everything that was going on like a movie! A visual to be exact! I recommend this book to every girl out there that enjoys reading about what happens when love, jealously, and emotions get mixed up, because honestly I think that most girls have been in the same situation as Belly was in! I was hesitant in the beginning but when I picked up the book and I couldn't put it down. So I recommend every teenage girl out there to read this book.

Reviewed by Alina O., grade 9
Montrose Library

Melissa said...

Two mothers' best friends forever Laurel and Susannah join their families every summer at the beach house in Cousins. Belly and Steven, Laurel's kids always stay at the summer house with Susannah's boys Jerimiah and Conrad. The summer that Belly turns 16 she comes back to the summer house more confident and prettier than ever. Belly has always had a crush on Conrad, he was her first love but always saw her as a little girl, practically his sister. but this summer is different. Belly ends up in a love triangle between the two brothers. Not to mention what is happening behind the scenes out of the spotlight with the mothers. This summer changes everything for better or worse for everyone.

I would highly recommend this book to teens who enjoy the romance genre. This is a very fun and easy summer read, and the book is the perfect length to read in a day or two. This book was very relatable in a sense of the characters and how they were growing up and learning from their actions within and outside of their control. I think the twist at the end explained so much and it really tied the entire book together. This book was a page-turner and got me invested in the rest of the series following this first book. I would 10/10 recommend this book and will continue the journey with these characters in the following two books.

Reviewed by S.B., Grade 11
Glendale Central Library

Melissa said...

Belly, our protagonist, goes to turn sixteen, which ends up being the summer that grabs all the boys' attention around her. One thing leads to another and the boys that used to consider her a sister, Jeremiah and Conrad, now see her in a different light. This leads to her getting caught in a love triangle between two brothers as she deals with her first love and first heartbreak during what she would consider “the perfect summer”.

This book was a great romance read, allowing us to see what it's like turning from having no boys' attention to all the boys' attention. Belly is a sweet but stubborn character and does not feel too cringe for the way she acts or is described. I loved the connection that she was able to build with the two brothers and that even though they could be a bit too harsh for her at times, she still stuck with them till the end and always returned to the beach house every year. An overall great read and makes you want to continue the series and for summer to be closer than it is.

Reviewed by Ariana G., Grade 11
Montrose Library