Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Address Unknown, by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor

 

Two brothers, Martin and Maxel, send letters to each other. One lives in San Francisco, California, and the other, in Munich, Germany. The letters start off normal but soon they take a turn when the new leader of Germany takes power, Adolf Hitler. One brother against Hilter, and one for Hilter, but both Jewish. The book consists of letters sent from brother to brother, talking about personal beliefs, ambitions, and fears. Two brothers who were once so close, now threatening loved ones with death.

In my opinion, I thought Address Unknown, by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor, was very shocking. The sudden twist in the story completely shocked me. The overall usage of the German dialect and the emotions conveyed in the novel brought me to tears. The book is flooded with a sense of betrayal and numbness and the author uses descriptive words to show this. I believe that many adults would enjoy this book. It resonates with a part that some people don't indulge in. From my perspective, I see many adults struggling with empathy and imagining themselves in scenarios because it can be overwhelming. Me, I got in touch with that part of myself. I don't focus on it because it takes me to a dark place, but this book almost seemed comforting. It opens you up and doesn't leave you with that numb, empty feelings. Instead, it lets you open up and then swoops in to comfort you. I would recommend this book to the more mature people I know, but again, a great book!

Reviewed by A.M., Grade 8

Glendale Central Library 

No comments: