Thursday, May 5, 2022

My Hero Academia, Vol. 23: Our Brawl, by Kohei Horikoshi


The fight between class 1-A and 1-B continues as Deku's dilemma is solved. Deku manages to use his unknown new power for a split second and is finally in control. The battle is full of passion and heart, and you can tell that our young heroes are really giving it their all. Despite both teams trying their best, there can only be one victor.
Deku and Bakugo attempt to lure out this new power once again, but to no avail. We learn more about it and it's origins.Meanwhile, we meet a new character, Detnerat, who seems to want to get his hands on the League of Villains. While that's going down, the League of Villains is battling Gigantomachia to gain his trust and to put him on their side. During this they get teleported away from Gigantomachia and we get bits and pieces of Shigaraki's childhood. Afterwards the league get an unexpected call that will eventually lead them to great danger.

I like all the books in this series, including My Hero Academia, Vol. 23: Our Brawl, by Kohei Horikoshi. I liked seeing how Deku's and Shinso's battle eventually played out and to see who came out on top in the end. I really enjoyed the interactions between the two classes, I thought it was really funny at times and put a smile on my face. At the same time it covered some darker themes. Detnerat is up to no good and needs to be stopped, even if it is by the League of Villains. I'm just a really big fan of the heroes so volumes with less screen time with them make me less invested, but overall it was great. I recommend giving it a read, half the volume is about the villains so all of the villain fans will enjoy it! I still really adore the art style and how everything is drawn, I think it looks beautiful.

Reviewed by Arpi, Grade 9
Glendale Central Library

No comments: