Saturday, July 21, 2018

Sophie Someone by Hayley Long

Sophie Something, by Hayley Long, begins off with a fourteen-year-old British-Belgian girl named Sophie Nieuwenleven. Her and her family prepare to leave the United Kingdom so they could all move to Belgium. While living in the city Brussels,she makes a new friend named Comet Kayembe and she can't figure why she left her old residence. Also,she realizes that there is something not right about her identity. So she looks back to her past such as when she was a little girl trying to pronounce her long last name or when she was an eleven-year-old attending the sixth grade.

I thought the book was pretty good. I kinda liked the part that the story would use random vocabulary to replace daily used items such as instead of the word "night",they use the word "nitrogen". I also liked where the story took place and when it had a really good climax. What I would have to say that I didn't like is the ending. Even if this book had a really good climax,I think that it should have a good ending with it too. Also,I didn't like the fact when they used French and possibly Dutch because if this were to be on a library's book shelf,the words should be in English since there are many people who don't understand on what the words would say. But overall I think that this was a good story. This would be a 4-star rating in total. Especially for the people who understand this type of language in the story.

Reviewed by Hannah Rachel, Grade 8
Downtown Central Library

No comments: