Thursday, June 27, 2013

Safe Haven, by Nicholas Sparks

In the book Safe Haven, by Nicholas Sparks, a woman named Katie arrives in a new town and is starting over. She meets and falls in love with Alex, a store owner with children and a wife who passed away. Slowly Katie becomes more and more attached to Alex as well as his family, but she is constantly haunted by her mysterious past. She realizes, with the help of her nosy neighbor and newly found friend named Jo, she has to choose if she will ever go back to her "old" life, or stay here with Alex and his kids.

I thought that this was a really exciting and interesting book. It was suspenseful and full of mystery. It was fun to predict what would happened, or what had happened in the past. I recommend this book to all readers. I think every one would like this extremely unique story. In my opinion, this book was very well written. It allowed readers to be able to make their own inferences and then surprised them with the truth. This book really grabs your attention and keeps your eyes glued to the page. You will not be able to put it down!

Reviewed by Melody, Grade 9.
Central Library

2 comments:

Teen Speak said...

In Safe Haven, by Nicholas Sparks, Katie is on the run from her abusive, alcoholic husband Kevin. Katie eventually finds refuge in Southport, North Carolina, a tiny vacation town. There she meets Alex, a widowed store owner, and his two kids Josh and Kristen. With Alex and his kids, Katie finally begins to allow herself to love and she’s happy for the first time in years. But when Kevin finds her, Katie’s new found family could be shattered.

I really loved this book. Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorite authors, and I have to say that this is definitely one of his best books. I really enjoyed how the relationship between Katie and Alex is developed. It wasn't some cliché like love at first site or anything, in the beginning Katie was made incredibly nervous by Alex because of her abusive past. It took a long time for Katie to let him, and even after she did she still had moments of worry and doubt about Alex. Their relationship was told honestly and amazingly well, I think Sparks did a wonderful job in showing that “love is the only true safe haven”. I think anyone who enjoys romance novels will absolutely love this book.

Reviewed by Lucy H., Grade9
Montrose Library

Teen Speak said...

The novel, "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks is a beautiful love story. A young woman marries a mean, abusive man. She finally gets the courage to leave him in the middle of the night. She runs to her neighbor's house and is given a new hair cut and a bus ticket, she now goes by the name Katie. All she knows about this new place is that it will take her far away from her husband. The bus takes her to South Port, South Carolina. She rents a small home and tries to relax. She gets a job as a waitress at a diner and meets the local grocery shop owner, Alex. Alex is a young father who's wife died of cancer a few years ago. They become friends and his daughter Lexi loves Katie. Meanwhile, Katie's husband is a police officer and is doing anything and everything to get her back, even if it means calling her a murderer and is wanted for questioning. Follow Katie in her journey of self discovery and becoming her own person.

One day I went to the book store and told myself I was going to walk out of this store with a great book, and well, I did. when I first picks up the book and turned to the back and started reading the summary, and instantly feel in love with it. I remember opining the first page and being surprised of how well the words were phrased. I also instantly fell in love with the characters and how they engulfed my soul with there story. The plot line was easy to follow, but some parts may be too intense for people under the age of 13. I think girls with a soft heart will fall in love with this novel, just like I did.

Reviewed by Juilia S., Grade 9
Montrose Library