Thursday, January 3, 2013

Never Have I Ever, by Sara Shepard

In her new life impersonating Sutton, Emma is scared to death. Her confidence in Ethan about her true identity proves to be a plus and their romance is definitely growing. Against the murderer's orders, Emma digs deeper into the mystery of Sutton's death. She ignores the threatening messages sent from her sister's murderer and investigates her current lead: Lily and Gabby. The Twitter Twins, a nickname given for their obsession with social media, have several reasons to hate Sutton, one involving a Lying Game prank that resulted in Gabby having a seizure. Another topic that keeps coming up is Thayer. What did Sutton have to do with his disappearance?

Being the second book in the series, I think Never Have I Ever, by Sara Shepard, was an okay read. I wasn't as connected to the characters as I was in the first book, but there was a connection. One thing that did annoy me, and Sutton too, was Emma's lack of courage with Ethan! It was too repetitive yet cute at the same time. Sara Shepard continues to deliver her spectacular writing however. The cruelness of the Lying Game and its members is truly frightening. Why would such pampered, happy girls enjoy the misery of others? What kept me on the edge of my seat definitely was the determination the Twitter Twins displayed, especially at the end...I would recommend this book to fans of the television series or previous Sara Shepard fans.

-Reviewed by Kristine K., grade 9.
Casa Verdugo Library

No comments: