Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Blade Breaker, by Victoria Aveyard

More portals into nightmare realms are opened as the army of Queen Erida marches over Allward with her consort Taristan right beside them, razing entire kingdoms to the ground.

If Corayne wants to rescue the kingdom as she knows, she must put together her own army. But dangerous terrain awaits her and her allies, and as they unite a united Ward to fight alongside them, they must battle with assassins, strange monsters, and stormy seas.

However, Taristan has let loose a scourge far more vile than his corpse army. Before there is any chance of success, something horrible lurks in the shadows and could destroy the entire world. 

I loved the storyline in the fantasy novel Blade Breaker, by Victoria Aveyard. The world building itself is huge and rich.

I still had some concerns with the first book when I read the sequel, and I just don't find Corayne or Andry to also be particularly compelling protagonists. Although I adore POV chapters, I mostly found myself uninterested in theirs. I was far more interested in following the development of side characters like Sorasa and Dom.

Overall, I think this is a highly entertaining epic fantasy that could be more appealing to older young adults. I am eager to read the upcoming chapter. 

Reviewed by Natali <3
Grade 11, Glendale Central Library

No comments: