Friday, February 17, 2023

The Inheritance Games, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


 The 17-year-old protagonist of The Inheritance Games, Avery Grambs (Full Name: Avery Kylie Grambs), was not born into an affluent family.  In the midst of high school, Avery finds out that she has inherited the majority of Tobias Hawthorne, the world's sole multi-billionaire, bequest. The only problem was that Avery had never met this individual and was in no way related to him. She is now left with Tobias Hawthorne's four grandsons, who had anticipated receiving the will themselves. While Jameson Hawthorne, one of the younger Hawthornes, thinks that their grandfather left Avery to them as a riddle to solve, Grayson Hawthorne, one of the older Hawthornes, believes that Avery is a scam artist and will do whatever to keep her away from his family. In order to discover the mysteries and secrets based on Tobias Hawthorne's choices, Avery will have to play the inheritance game. 

I am in love with The Inheritance Games, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, beyond words. I wasn't sure whether to start the series at first, but reading this was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Everything in the story—the characters, the narrative, the hints and mysteries—was spot on. The love triangle between Avery, Jameson, and Grayson was one thing I didn't enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I adore Avery with all of them, but it's difficult to decide between them because she can't BE with both of them. I was incredibly engrossed in the story, and since the one question Avery was seeking an answer to wasn't entirely resolved, I'm eager to read the next books in the trilogy to learn what happens next. Despite the cliffhanger ending, I wholeheartedly suggest this book to anyone and everyone. 

Reviewed by Agapi, Grade 9

Glendale Central Library 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

This book starts off with Avery, an ambitious, intellectual 17 year old. Her life takes a crazy turn when all of sudden she goes from poor to rich in a matter of a day. When the Infamous Tobias Hawthorne dies, Avery finds herself living in a mansion along with the four Hawthorne brothers, inheriting his entire fortune. But why? What is so important about Avery that she took in this inheritance? Well, with the assistance of Grayson and Jameson Hawthorne, the charming brothers who also might have a thing for Avery and get into a little love triangle, they set out on a quest to figure out the puzzles and mysteries lying inside Hawthorne House. What will they find?

This book was definitely a 5/5 star read for me. From the moment I read the first line, I knew I would be hooked. This is the type of book you pick up and just binge read from hours on end. The thing I loved alot (and I know many others love too) were the short chapters! This is what made the book so addicting and made you want to continue reading. The characters, the plot, everything!! The way everything started connecting after you figure out the clues. The author knew exactly what she doing. I am not a huge fan of the love triangle and would love if Avery ended up with Jameson. Point blank period. The chemistry. The angst. The teasing. His charming personality. The way he looks at her. How can you not love this man???? Avery and Grayson barely interacted and you guys go feral for them, I don’t know why. Everytime Grayson popped into a scene, it made me want to close my book and throw it across the room. I believe this book is great for people who drool over fictional men and don’t know which one to pick. Also if you are looking for a mystery that will have you guessing if you’re thinking straight or not. I’ve reread this book 5 times and will be rereading it another 5 times. I have also read the Hawthorne Legacy and absolutely cannot wait for The Final Gambit!! Mark your calendars for August 30. You won’t want to miss it. #AveryJamesonEndgame

Reviewed by LZ, Grade 11
Glendale Central Library