Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Heartless, by Marissa Meyer

Catherine, Cath, a young queen to be, has only one dream, to start a bakery with her maid and friend Mary Ann. Her passion for baking, although admirable, is discouraged by her stern mother who pushes her for royal obligation-to be married off to the King of Hearts. Feeling suffocated at the lack of control over her own life and the nearing rumors of a proposal by the King, Cath runs into a mysterious, yet familiar, Jest. With a newfound determination of living for herself and the rush of secrecy and new relationships, Cath lets fate lead her way. After all, the only thing left at stake is her heart

In my opinion, Heartless, by Marissa Meyer, itself was difficult to truly get into at first, but once I was a few pages in I was completely engaged. The wonderland plot line seems overused, but this book surpasses every interpretation of Alice in Wonderland. I also recommend picking up the book when you’re emotionally prepared for it. After I was done with the book, I felt like I had to give myself at least a two-week break before I could pick up another book. I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially if you’re one to enjoy a spin on classics.

Reviewed by AK, Grade 11

Grandview Library

No comments: