Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh


Picking up where 'The Wrath and The Dawn' left off, Shahrzad's story continues. She is now far from her beloved, in camp surrounded by men who would like to see him dead. This camp is led by her childhood love, Tarik. Shazi and her sister look after their father, who, even in a coma, refuses to let go of a book, which is kept hugged to his chest. Shazi wants to help her husband in anyway she can, leading her to escaping at night and returning by morning. She uses the magic carpet that was gifted to her by the same man she seeks out for help. The Mage of the Fire Temple leads her to a boy no older than she to help train her in magic. The reader also gets to follow Khalid dealing with Shazi’s absence and rebuilding his city. In addition, the author includes more based on the perspectives of Shazi’s sister, Tarik, and other characters.

This book sent me through an emotional roller coaster. There were moments when I was so happy because events turned out as I predicted and it worked well. There were also moments when I was gasping out of surprise or fear, because I have felt the pain of books ending on a bad note before. What got me the most emotional was the ending. I was crying in my room for a good while and actually had to take a short break to calm myself down before continuing. There were so many plot twists that were so perfectly timed and fit like a puzzle piece. Something I also enjoyed very much is that the author included an epilogue that answered all of the questions that bothered me once I finished the book. I would definitely recommend this to any of my friends that enjoy a good drama, especially if they read the previous novel.


Reviewed by anonymous, Grade 10
Glendale Central Library

1 comment:

Melissa said...

As a war is starting, Shahrazad is forced to leave behind her husband, the Caliph of Khorasan, and there is a curse set on Khalid that is threatening to keep them apart forever. Shahrazad is reuinted with her sister and ill father, where they have found refugee in the desert. There, a deadly force led by Shahrazad's old lover against Khalid is gathering, trying to take down his empire. Shahrazad decides that she is going to strike out to end the curse and the war once and for all.

I really loved reading this book. I loved the plot as well as the character development of Shahrazad. She became braver than she was and she decided that she was going to save the kingdom from war by herself. I also really loved the chemistry between Shahrazad and Khalid, their relationship developed a lot from the first book. I would give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars and I would recommend this book to all young adult fantasy readers.

Reviewed by PM, Grade 12
Glendale Central Library