Monday, November 18, 2019

Garfield eats his heart out: His Sixth Book by Jim Davis

Everyone knows that Garfield is a cat who tends to eat a lot in an unhealthy way. Jon decides to take Garfield to the veterinarian so he can know what's wrong with his cat and he would go there every week during his checkups for him to try getting Liz to go out with him on a date. Sadly, Garfield is diagnosed with a sugar withdrawal so he is going to need to reduce his sugar and starch consumption by going on a healthy diet and changing his lifestyle. Jon struggles while doing this but at times he would make it work.

This had a great story, to begin with. Some of the graphics looked humorous but there were some I didn't like as much as certain ones because I thought they looked a bit basic. For example, there was one part where Garfield would hide under his bed all the time and the graphics always looked the same except it had word bubbles in them. Even though these comics were written in the 70s, I wish there was some color on the images like the ones at the back of the book cover. From the beginning to the middle of the book, I felt like I enjoyed reading this but when I began to get closer to the end of the strip, I started to feel a little bored. And I think everyone of all ages can read these comics.

Reviewed by Hannah Rachel, Grade 10
Downtown Central Library

No comments: