Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Garfield at Large: His First Book by Jim Davis


This 1970s Garfield comic book classic shows the typical life of Garfield the cat himself. His main hobbies are eating and sleeping on a regular basis. Living with his owner Jon Arbuckle and Lyman, who is Odie's owner since they both now live together in the same house because Lyman's house got burned down. This would also show what are Garfield's clever and wild moments such as him eating a mailman or destroying a very expensive scratching post. Sometimes, Jon would wonder why did he ever adopt this poor giant orange cat and if he ever regretted doing this.

I haven't read comics for a long time now but when it came to me getting back on my feet into reading them again, I think that this is one of the best comic books I have ever read. I used to read them a lot when I was a little kid but now I got to understand them more in a funnier way. I really enjoy the humor and the imagery in these strips for a first book of the Garfield series. It's also not too long or too short but it can sometimes feel a book may never end in general. I can't say I didn't like the book but although I thought the way the book physically looks, it should be facing a vertical direction rather than a horizontal one based on the copy I got because sometimes it wouldn't fit in my bag but otherwise, it's a really fun book to read. Whether big or small, I would recommend this book to everyone who can read because comics are mostly less words and more graphics.


Reviewed by Hannah Rachel, Grade 10
Downtown Central

No comments: