Thursday, September 19, 2019

The Odyssey by Homer


A brave and strong warrior named Odysseus leaves his beloved hometown Ithaca in order to go off to the real world and fight these different, somehow cruel people and odd monsters that decide to go against him in any way when it comes to battle terms. Think of the Cyclops and Eurymachus as examples who come in Odysseus's way. But of course, there will be a time that Odysseus will come back to his hometown for his family and for the fellow citizens living there. He does this after twenty years, and there are some things he needs to do after his arrival such as saving his wife Penelope from a bunch of suitors who desire her to remarry or reconnecting with his son Telemachus. Basically, this epic poem explains the life of Odysseus and what it is like.

I really couldn't understand the whole plot of this epic poem. It took me a while to realize that an epic poem are long poems with many stanzas and lines that tell a story and the thing was there was a lot of them explaining different topics and conflicts in them. At least the ending sounded nice, well from what I've seen in the text's connotation and tone but I still didn't get the whole thing though. But during around the middle of the epic poem, such as the falling action or the climax, it got me somehow interested and appealed into reading it more. I realized that when it came to reading any type of poem, you would have to read it several times in order to fully understand it clearly. Reading all of this in about three weeks to a month, those were the most boring days of my life. I'd rather waste my time reading another piece of material than this again because I just honestly disliked it. If you are a person who loves reading any type of poetry or you want to enhance your knowledge more on literature, then take a look at this and read this kind of content.


Reviewed by Hannah R., Grade 10
Downtown Central

No comments: