Monday, June 3, 2019

Cinder, by Marissa Meyer


Cinder, by Marissa Meyer, takes place after the third world war and is located in New Beijing. Linh Cinder is a cyborg who was in a hover accident at a young age. She was taken in by Linh Garan. When he died, she is left with a horrible stepmother and her two daughters. Since Cinder is a mechanic, she runs into Prince Kai. A plague hits the town and one of Cinder's stepsisters catches it. Her stepmother blames Cinder and drafts her into the Cyborg Draft for plague testing.

I like how throughout the book there was a suspenseful feel. I like the theme, don't judge a book by it's cover. Throughout the whole book, Cinder is trying to discover who she is. She grew up feeling unwanted because she was a cyborg. She then turned out to be very important.

Reviewed by Rita, Grade 9
Grandview Library

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Cinder is a cyborg and a skillful mechanic. The story takes place in the future with humans and androids in New Beijing. A plague has devastated the population and, in the midst of new discoveries, Cinder find more about her mysterious past. Similar to Cinderella, Cinder’s stepmother dislikes her and favors her stepsisters. Suddenly, Queen Levana of the lunar people, who is rumored to have killed her niece, suspiciously comes to earth wanting to marry Prince Kai.

Cinder is an enticing book with a fantastical plot and charming characters. I’m not a fan of science fiction, but I love this book. I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends, even if they don’t usually read science fiction either. I started reading this expecting to not like it, but I ended up past the 100th page by the second day I got it. It starts off with a hint of romance when prince kai visits Cinder’s shop. It continuously becomes more intriguing as Cinder discovers more about her past. This is one of the best books I’ve read recently and I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed by SM, Grade 7
Glendale Central Library