Monday, June 6, 2016

The Martian, by Andy Weir

Andy Weir’s, The Martian, is a brilliantly written novel set on the barren planet Mars. After a large sandstorm hits their landing site and his crew is forced to leave him behind after he is hit with shrapnel, Mark Watney has to survive the unforgiving planet of Mars. With only limited supplies left after the sandstorm, Mark must make do with what he has to last long enough for the next Ares mission to pick him up. After learning that Mark is still alive, the world comes together for a common purpose; “Bring Him Home”.

In my opinion, this is my favorite book I have ever read. I'm always interested in Science Fiction books. There are many views on what people think the future will be like, and I believe this one is the most realistic. Not only does it show the dangers of space travel, but it shows that many people will come together to help one person. I like how this book takes a survival story, and puts a twist on it. If you're looking for a book with humor, drama, and action, I highly suggest The Martian.

Reviewed by 

Charles B., Grade 9 
Montrose Library

1 comment:

Teen Speak said...

“The Martian” is a science fiction novel written by Andy Weir. The novel follows an astronaut named Mark Watney and his lonely survival in the Mars. But thanks to his skills as an astronaut, Mark Watney does make the Mars a place where he can live. Still, the next mission to Mars will take over four years and that is too long. He will either die of loneliness or hunger before then. Will Mark be able to go back to Earth or die in the Mars?

I certainly loved this book. The fact that it was able to make my hands sweat while reading it, made me to love this book. I believe that people who understands the loneliness and sanity of a human will like this book. This book surely made me think about how I will act and feel, if I was Mark Watney. It helped me to think and sympathize with Mark’s thoughts and his feelings while he was in the Mars.

Reviewed by Jonah, Grade 9
Glendale Central Library