Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Beautiful Music For Ugly Children, by Kirstin Cronn-Mills

Beautiful Music For Ugly Children, by Kirstin Cronn-Mills revolves around a girl named Liz or shall I say a boy named Gabe. He is in his senior year and close to graduation. He has his own DJ radio show where he can actually be Gabe and be proud of who he is. He begins to embrace Gabe, as he calls it, "his B side", right after high school, and goes through hardships along with his best friend Page, his neighbor John, and his family, who have yet to come to terms with who he is. 

The title alone got me interested. It's that type of book that I have never encountered before and I loved it. It showed me the bonds of friendship, the acceptance of family, and how much hatred there is in the world along with how much love that equals it. It made me think that no matter what, people will still love you for who you are. I believe this book may or may not be an eye opener for some people who have very strong opinions against transsexuals, lesbians, gays, and bi-sexuals. It may even change their views to be accepting of others. Overall, I recommend this book to anyone and everyone, it's amazing.

Reviewed by Anahit T., grade 12
Glendale Central Library

No comments: