Monday, June 23, 2014

The Battle of the Labyrinth, by Rick Riordan

We once again join Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon, at Camp Half-Blood. During training, Percy and Annabeth find an entrance into the Labyrinth and find out that Luke has been there before. They figure that Luke will lead his army in through the Labyrinth and ambush the camp from within. They must find Daedulus before Luke does, so that he won't know where to go in the Labyrinth. Will Camp Half-Blood stay protected or will this be it's final stand? 

Usually, I would love this book because it's part of the Percy Jackson series. But, I honestly didn't like this one. To me it was kind of like a few of the others.The plot line was the same, Percy is in a race against time, making sure that Luke does not succeed. The Battle of the Labyrinth, by Rick Riordan, was kind of bored me, but it did have some twists that I was surprised when I read. This book kind of saddened me too, because you could tell they're preparing for the final book of a great series.Definitely not my favorite for the series standard, but an okay book. 

Reviewed by Julian, grade 9
Glendale Central Library

2 comments:

Teen Speak said...

Once again, the book begins with Percy almost dying at school. Luckily, his new friend Rachel Elizabeth Dare manages to help him fight off the empousai and get away. Back at camp, they have other things to worry about- Nico’s disappearance, a stranger called Quintus and his hellhound, and a strange cave that leads to an impossible maze... But if they can find their way out, they will discover something that has long been lost in the twists and turns of the labyrinth.

This book starts right off with a lot of mysteries-Quintus, the Labyrinth, Nico... and despite the differences between these, they are all connected very effectively into the story. The Labyrinth itself is incredible, and the way it is used to move the story along is great. Percy and Annabeth being a cute couple is a huge bonus as well, although I could do without the “I’m jealous because I think Percy likes you” problem Annabeth and Rachel have. Overall, it’s a great book, with so many twists, it’s almost a maze itself!

Reviewed by Griselda E, Grade 9
Casa Verdugo Library

Renia said...

Percy Jackson reunites with Tyson and Grover to embark on a quest led by Annabeth. With the threat of Kronos’s army using the Labyrinth as an attack route straight to Camp Half Blood, the group must find the inventor’s workshop and prevent their enemies from using the maze. As a side quest, the friends aid in Grover’s search for the god Pan. Along the way, they face many difficult obstacles, as well as meet new allies and reunite with old ones. Will their quest prove successful, saving the camp?

As I am nearing the end of the series, I am becoming more and more anxious to see how it ends. I have become pretty attached to the characters and will be sad when I reach the end. When I first started the series, I had expected myself not to enjoy it as much as I would have if I had read it when my friends had. However, I was proven wrong and I can confidently recommend starting the first book to anyone. I find myself laughing at awkward situations and holding my breath for the suspenseful moments depicted in the book. Reading the Percy Jackson series is a wholesome experience that includes situations anyone can relate to. Having Greek mythology integrated into modern life is definitely a cool aspect as well.

Reviewed by Anonymous, Grade 11
Glendale Central Library