Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, by Avi

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi is about a 13 year old girls voyage from Liverpool, England to her family's new home in Providence, Rhode Island. Not only is she left alone as the only passenger on the ship, but she is the only female as well. As if that's not bad enough, on this innocent trip, Charlotte is hated by the crew, is accused of a murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. See how poor Charlotte lives on the ship, deals with the crew, the captain, and manages to get mixed up in this terrible situation!

This is one of my ultimate favorite books I have ever read. I love the authors descriptions and how he foreshadows everything so well. He sets the scene and the mood very well too. In addition, he also puts nearly everything very understandably, so it keeps the story easy to follow. I also love the thrill and suspense that he creates and how scared this book can make you. You connect with the main characters and while reading it, you feel like part of the crew. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes suspense, thrill, mystery, and surprises.


Reviewed by Nayri T., grade 9.
Central Library

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This novel was very well put together and thought out. Avi obviously did his research and his use of suspense and plot twisted bound the book together. I especially liked the big plot twist on Charlotte's decision at the end of the story. I believe this book is for just about every one, however i recommend it to those who crave action, and irony. This book really made me think of what right and wrong is in my life? Do I live in a lie, or does reality keep me from true happiness? Overall, this book was amazing. Although I would like to know what happens to Charlotte, I really would not like a direct sequel to this book. Its great and for those who hesitate to check it out, JUST READ IT!

Reviewed by David, grade 9.
Central Library