Monday, October 1, 2012

Perfect, by Natasha Friend

In Perfect by Natasha Friend, Isabelle Lee has a problem. She has a broken family and so, she lets her emotions out by throwing up. Her father had died, her mother is depressed, and she is forced to attend "group" because her sister had caught her with her fist in her mouth and told on her. Eating Disorder and Body Image Therapy Group becomes interesting when she runs into Ashley Barnum: Miss Popularity. Isabelle wonders why Ashley would ever be in "group" when she is already perfect in every way. They become very good friends and they eat and vomit together, every chance they get. Soon, Isabelle discovers the secrets of being able to stop and think about how she feels and what throwing up does for her.

I could relate to this book because I have a single mother and I am very conscious towards my weight and body like Isabelle. I enjoyed this book because of the truth and real scenarios that most teens would be able to recognize in an instant. There are real problems and families out there with heart-breaking situations who deal with a lot, and still manage to go through each day as if they are 'fine' when inside, they are dying. You would change your perspective on how you deal with problems and judge people.

-Reviewed by J.P., grade 8.

1 comment:

Teen Speak said...

Perfect is about Isabelle Lee, a 13 year old girl, wishing to be skinny and uses throwing up after eating to get there. She is caught by her 10 year old sister, April, and forced by her mother, a depressed widow, to go to “Eating Disorder and Body Image Therapy Group". Isabelle hates it right from the start, but suddenly Ashley Barnum, "the prettiest, most popular girl in school", walks in. They soon begin to hangout, but not like normal friends would. They stuff their faces with food and end up throwing up together every time. The book follow Isabelle’s acceptance that there really is no such thing as “perfect”.

I chose to read Perfect after a recommendation from my sister, she too read it around my age. It felt refreshing to read a book where the main character, a girl near my age, learns self-acceptance and there is no such thing as “perfect”. I live in the era of the internet, where everyday I can find a news article about some celebrities amazing weight loss or the secret to a perfect Victoria Secret’s body. As a teenage girl it is difficult to read these things and not question my body or eating habits. This book made me realize none of that should ever matter. My self happiness is the only thing I should be worried about, not the newest celebrity diet. I would recommend this to all middle and high school girls going through the awkward stage of their bodies changes and learning to love oneself.

Reviewed by S.T., Grade 10
Glendale Central Library