Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jane Erye, by Charlotte Brontë


Jane Erye, by Charlotte Brontë, is a book about a girl who grows up into a woman and has plenty of adventures. In the beginning of the book, Jane is tortured by the Reed family. Mrs. Reed decides to send Jane to school and Jane makes her first friend there, Helens Burns, which later on dies next to Jane. Jane lived at Lowood School for eight years and found a job as a governess at Thornfield. There, she meets her soon to be husband Mr. Rochester. A year or two later, she visits Mrs. Reed in her death bed and she forgives Mrs. Reed for all the pain she's caused her. When she returns, she marries Mr. Rochester, and at the wedding, she is informed he has another wife, Bertha Mason. Then Jane leaves Thornfield and returns finding it burned to the ground by Bertha.

 I personally enjoyed Jane Erye after the first six chapters. The beginning is slow and confusing, but once bigger events occur, the book is more entertaining. Jane Erye is very intense and suspenseful. Jane goes through a lot of painful times and it makes the book more exciting. It is based of times in the 1800s where children weren't allowed to have opinions and women weren't treated with as many rights as they do now. Jane shows that she's independent because she has her own ideas when she was a child and as she grew older, she made sure that people understood how she felt. These aspects allow the reader to be more attached and understand what Jane is going through. Overall, I believe that this book is a very emotional one and has extreme detail to Jane's life.

- Reviewed by Anonymous, grade 9.

2 comments:

Teen Speak said...

I wish I could be alone for once and not get yelled at by everyone. Mrs. Reed hates me, her children Eliza, John, and Georgina hate me even the maids hate me. Everyone in this mansion hates me; now that my uncle’s gone they don’t have to pretend to care anymore. He ordered Aunt Reed to adopt me and care for me but she always hits me, and looks at me scornfully. I’m like a useless white crayon in this plain world, thrown to the side and ignored. All I want is a family who cares, and loves me, not one that treats me like poison. Sometimes I fell as if my uncles still here, I have proof, but nobody believes me let me explain. The maids threw me in my uncle’s room one night; I stood there for hours in the dark busying myself by dusting the cabinets and drawers. After some time I saw a streak of light coming toward me, then I heard noises. It took me about a minute to realize it was my uncle haunting me. I ran to the locked door yelling and trying to work the handle, the two maids opened the door. I started explaining everything, warm tears streaming down my cheeks, and then Aunt Reed came. She looked at me with hatred in her dark eyes, and called me liar, and of how weary she’d become of my thirst for attention. She then pushed me back into the room; I heard the lock click behind me. Before I knew it the whole world began to sway, I felt unconsciousness grasp my body and drag me down.

I honestly enjoyed this novel very much for a number of reasons. Its strange plots and twists along with the romance left me in suspense as i read through every page. From page one as a young girl to the last page as a new mother, this novel seems to grow with the main character Jane Eyre. As she leaves her cruel family and looks for happiness the book seems to force the reader to mature with it.I believe this book has taught me many lessons as I read it over the last summer. In the end it's just another love story with a different type of love.

Reviewed by Anik B., grade 9
Pacific Park Library

Teen Speak said...

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, is about a young orphan girl that gets shipped off to boarding school. Jane grows up in Lowood, a cruel boarding school for girls. Jane gets a little older and gets a job as a governess at Thornfield, with her master, Mr.Rochester. She starts tutoring Adele, a little girl. Jane and Mr.Rochester get closer and soon she falls for him. Everything is going well but mysterious things start happening, and a guest gets attacked. Jane gets suspicious and finds out the shocking truth.

At first, I thought Jane Eyre would be a boring story but it turned out pretty good. I really liked the story behind Mr.Rochester and the mysterious things happening.What I disliked about this book was the ending. I just didn't enjoy the ending because it didn't turn out how I wanted it to. I recommend this to people who like reading classics.

Reviewed by: Elen S., grade 9
Glendale Central Library