Thursday, December 8, 2011

Twisted, by Laurie Halse Anderson

The novel Twisted, by Laurie Halse Anderson, is about a teenager named Tyler Miller who seeks acceptance by his classmates in High School. He starts dating the popular girl in school, who is also the daughter of his workaholic dad's boss, and the sister of his enemy. Things turn out "twisted" when everything goes wrong and his life turns worse than before.

I really enjoyed this book because it was both entertaining and didactic. It was a complete page turner and I would recommend it to all teens who can relate to Tyler. When I finished it, I realized that many kids out there have worse lives than me, and that people should be tolerant and kind to everybody. This book also taught me that when you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.
.
-Reviewed by Anush, grade 11.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this book very much! I liked how I could very much relate to Tyler's feelings, emotions, and thoughts. I would recommend this book to teenagers mostly, because it is about the struggles of the daily lives of teens. I liked it a lot, and I hope more people get to read this fantastic book! I liked how the author made the book very easy to understand and connect to. I felt like I was reading about one of my friends, it was that easy to relate to. I found myself laughing at some of the things in this book and it was a lot of fun to read.

-Reviewed by Melody N, grade 9.
Central Library

Teen Speak said...

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson is about Tyler Miller, an average high school student with a dysfunctional family, nothing really special to him. But after getting caught for doing graffiti on the school and becoming better looking over the summer, he became the bad boy of the school who got everyone’s attention, especially Bethany Milbury, who just so happens to be the most popular and prettiest girl (and Tyler's secret crush). After what seems like Tyler will finally be living his dreams, twisted events come to occur and of course with that come blame. Tyler then starts to question his place in everything, especially the world.

I tend to love all of Laurie Halse Anderson's books, so it was no surprise to me that Twisted was amazing. But after reading most of her books, the characters struggles, mindset, and overall writing seemed very similar to that of Speak which is one of her other books, so it wasn't that new to me. Yet while I was reading it, I finished it without putting it down, it's addicting. I love the way Tyler stands up for himself and the way he deals with the situations in the end. Tyler seems like the sweetest kid who goes through what he doesn't deserve, so the books plot really does match with the title, everything in it is twisted. Twisted as in horrible but also twisted perspectives.

Reviewed by Nayri T., grade 10
Casa Verdugo Library