Monday, July 11, 2011

The Fire Within, by Chris D'Lacey

The Fire Within, by Chris D'Lacey, is about a boy named David who becomes a house tenant at the Pennykettle's. When he arrives, he is given a magical clay dragon with fantastic powers. When David is done using the dragon to write books, he puts the dragon away, then the dragon starts dying from the lack of love that David is supposed to supply him with. Read to find out about the dragon and David. This book was very adventurous and interesting. I really liked it because it was a very good book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes fictional books, or for someone who just wants to try something different.

-Reviewed by T.N., grade 9.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When David moves in with Liz and Lucy, he discovers a collection of hand crafted, clay dragons that come to life and have magical powers. David's personalized dragon, Gadzooks, can forecast the future, and inspires him to write a story which reveals the truth behind an unsolved mystery about a squirrel named Conkers.

At first, I really didn't know what the heck I was reading, but when I began to read more, I was intrigued by these so-called "dragons". By the time i stopped reading, one and a half hours had already gone by and I was finished with the book. I would definitely recommend this book to children that are looking for a good series to read.

Reviewed by Andrew S., grade 9
Montrose Library

Teen Speak said...

I chose, The Fire Within, by Chris d'Lacey because I liked the summary it gave. David Rain is a University student that rented a room in the house of Elizabeth Pennykettle who has a daughter and makes clay dragons for a living. She gave David one as a gift and he soon receives images from him and finds out that the clay dragons Liz makes are more than what they seem.

My favorite quote is,“What you take from the earth, you must give back. That's nature's way.” because it's an interesting quote. The author's point of view changes every few chapters and puts many characters in the spotlight. I would recommend this book to people who like adventures and non-fiction stories because this would be a good book for them.

Reviewed by: Narek A., grade: 9
Glendale Central Library