Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Ruins of Gorlan, by John Flanagan

The Ranger's Apprentice, by John Flanagan, starts its series off with book one: The Ruins of Gorlan. At the beginning of this book, orphans in a castle have to schoose their occupation, depending on their skill. Two of the Orphans, Will and Horace, both wanted to be warriors. However, Horace was big and muscular and Will was small. Horace became a warrior and Will was asked to become a ranger. A decision that will change Will's life forever. As Will is being trained in the ways of a ranger, a war brakes out and Will will play a major role in winning the war.

This is one of the best books I have read, and every time a new Ranger's Apprentice comes out, I find myself buying the book as fast as possible and finishing it even faster. At the same time I read this book, I had a big interest in these things: rangers, warriors, wizards, and I enjoyed reading this book. Each page was filled with adventure, and the further into the book I got, the harder it was to put the book down. With each book, I learn many things that I can relate to life. From this book I learned to be more sneaky. This book as well as the series, Ranger's Apprentice, will always be one of my favorites, and I recommend this book to anyone.


-Reviewed by Krassi, grade 9.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morgarath, the evil, exiled lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, has been waiting for fifteen years in his dark realm, carefully planning his revenge against the Kingdom of Araluen. His former fief, known as Gorlan, was brought to ruin as a result of his unsuccessful rebellion against King Duncan. Now he silently plots to rebel again, rallying creatures known as Wargals to his side. Now, after the fifteen years, Morgarath prepares to unleash his power and attempt to take the Kingdom once more. Meanwhile in Araluen, in the fief Redmont, a special day has come for Will, called Choosing Day, where he becomes an apprentice to a craftmaster. Although Will's first choice was Battleschool, he becomes apprenticed to Halt of the Rangers. Rangers are the intelligence group of the country and specialize in long range weapons and the art of staying unseen. Will is trained in these skills as he prepares for the annual Ranger meeting called the Gat hering which is where his skills will be tested. At the Gathering the Rangers receive a report that the Kalkara, vicious creatures under the control of Morgarath, have killed important Araluen figures.

This book has always been one of my favorites since i was a child. I have read it about 10 times and I never get tired of it. I would definitely recommend this book along with the other books in the series to all kids that are in 5th grade and above.

Reviewed by Andrew, grade 9
Montrose Library


Teen Speak said...

It is about a boy named Will, a 15 year old orphan that gets chosen to be Halt's apprentice. Halt is the Ranger of Redmont fief. They have to go on a search for a beast that is deadly and very difficult to defeat. There are only 2 of them left and they must kill them before they are used against them as a weapon in the upcoming war.

The Ranger's Apprentice series are one of my favorite series. I really liked this book and it was recommended to me by my friend. The plot of the story is really nice and well planned, along with the author's writing style. John Flanagan has a unique writing style that uses lots of imagery to help you picture the story.

Reviewed by Robert S., grade 9
Glendale Central Library