Friday, November 11, 2022

I'm Glad My Mom Died, by Jeanette McCurdy


 I'm Glad My Mom Died written by child star Jeanette McCurdy, who most famously played Sam Puckett on iCarly and Sam & Cat. It's an autobiography that follows her on the path to stardom, and how it was not as glamorous as it seemed. Growing up with a toxic mother who projected her dreams of fame onto her daughter, McCurdy was pushed into a career in acting that she didn't really want. Her mother's control continued as McCurdy was encouraged into an eating disorder, and countless other traumas.

When I read this book, I had coincidentally just finished watching iCarly for the first time and it was really eye-opening to me how McCurdy had to fake her personality so strongly. I was also sad because she had been so young when she started the show but was already being controlled by her mother. I don't usually read memoirs because life is rarely more interesting than fiction, but McCurdy's writing, spacing and diction made the book always engaging. I especially liked how her writing style changed as the narrator grew older. When she was writing about her childhood, the words sounded like they could have genuinely come out of a young kid's mouth, and as she detailed her life chronologically the writing style grew up with her. These small choices in tone & style overall made the book really engaging & interesting.

Reviewed by Lucy, Grade 11

Glendale Central Library 

No comments: