Friday, December 13, 2019

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


In Kaz Brekker's world, magic exists. Special people called Grisha can control the elements- and sometimes even the actions of other people.
Kaz, an infamous conman known by his street name "Dirtyhands," is offered a deal. If he breaks a scientist known for creating a drug that enhances Grisha power by thousandfold out of a government facility, he would receive more money that he could ever have a use for. Kaz puts together a team, one he believes will actually succeed where no one else has before. Surrounded by danger, betrayal, and deception, Kaz and his crew must be careful- or be as ruthless as their opponents.

I enjoyed Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo very much. The story was riveting and urgent, and had tons of plot twists that made it even more exciting. The way the novel changed its point of view from character to character was also interesting, and each of the characters seemed realistic. Their backstories and how they ended up as gangsters was explained very well. I enjoyed almost every part of the book. I can see people who like magic and fantasy novels loving Six of Crows. I would definitely recommend this great book to others.

Reviewed by NK., Grade 10
Montrose Library
 

2 comments:

Teen Speak said...

Six of Crows has six main characters, and it gives the point of view of each one per chapter. The characters, Kaz, Inej, Nina, Wylan, Jesper, and Matthias are all complex in their unique ways. The book is set after the events of Shadow and Bone, and some of the characters are even mentioned, like Alina. A highly addictive drug named Jurda Parem was discovered, and the creator of it was taken hostage in the most secure prison in their whole world. A lot of gangs are involved to get the inventor, and the Dregs are one of them. Kaz is assigned the mission to help the scientist and the reward was 4 million kurge for each of the six people, and 20% of the total to the Dregs as a whole. (Kurge is their currency)

I think that Six of Crows was really good. I was caught off guard most of the time because of all the plot twists, and I generally like it when that happens. I couldn’t put the book down when I was reading it, and was obsessed with it for the longest time. I would totally recommend this to anyone who is interested in young adult fantasy. It was better written than Shadow and Bone too, because the writing was more advanced and the author had more experience. I already recommend this book to everyone I talk to. The ending was really surprising, and I could barely sleep after because I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Reviewed by Anonymous, Grade 8
Casa Verdugo Library

Teen Speak said...

This novel takes place in a mystical land called Ketterdam. Six criminals, with Kaz Brekker being the lead of this gang need to pull off an extrordianry heist. During this huge adventure every single gang member goes through a phase of their own struggles they have to overcome in order to impress Kaz and save their own lives.

I have read this book twice and honestly I can read it over and over. A year ago I wanted to start reading like I used to so I asked one book worm if she had any recommendations. She told me to read this one and I won't regret it. I was a little hesitant because I usually don't read these types of stories but I'm so glad I did. Diving in head first, and determined to get through this meaty book, I read every word instantly trying to get to the next part. So, yes, I really do recommend this book to any other teens wanting to put down their cell phone and just read a good book you get hooked into. Like the dregs say, "No mourners, no funerals".

Reviewed by Lillian Khojayan, Grade 9
Montrose Library