Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


Alina Starkov and Mal have been friends for almost as long as they can remember. Both orphans, they were raised in an orphanage and tested for Grisha power- a type of magic that is desired by the government of Ravka. Both tested negative. However, when Alina and Mal are taken across the Fold, an unnatural desert bleached of color and inhabited by monsters, their convoy is attacked and Alina manifests a Grisha power- and not just any ordinary power. Alina seems to be a Sun Summoner- a Grisha with control over light, and never seen in modern times. Separated from Mal, she is taken to the royal court and the Darkling, the leader of the Grisha of Ravka. He believes that with Alina's power, the Fold could be destroyed. However, he is not what she thinks he is. Without Mal, Alina must learn to control her power and her feelings- before she is manipulated by others around her.

I thought that Shadow and Bone was a very good book. I enjoyed the story that Bardugo wrote very much, and the world-building was very detailed and even plausible. The characters themselves were diverse and their appearances and actions were very descriptive as well. I can't think of anything I found wrong about this novel- it was a good, action-packed novel in my opinion. I think that readers of Fantasy fiction or fans of Bardugo's other fantasy series would enjoy the novel. However, readers of romance or even science fiction would like this book too. The book is a part of a trilogy, and it made me feel excited to read the sequel. I really enjoyed this novel and I definitely recommend it to others.


Reviewed by NK., Grade 10
Montrose Library

2 comments:

Teen Speak said...

The book follows the main protagonist, Alina Starkov, after she discovered that she had sun powers. Alina has a best friend named Mal, who accompanies her most of the time, until she gets taken to the Little Palace (which isn't so little), by a powerful man named the Darkling, to train. He leads the Grisha, people with magical powers, in the Second Army. Him and Alina are both one of a kind, and Mal feels left out after they haven't talked for a while. A lot of betrayals happen, and Alina is dragged right into the very center of it.

I personally enjoyed reading this book because it felt refreshing. I discovered it when I was in a major reading slump, and it helped me get back into reading and actually enjoy books. I liked the plot, but I was kind of disappointed by the ending. But Shadow and Bone is definitely worth reading because it helps with the background for Six of Crows, which is a duology that comes after the trilogy. The show is coming on April 23, so the books are totally worth it. Every book has a memorable character, and this one’s happened to be Nikolai Lantslov. He made the books much more enjoyable because he was the comic relief, and who doesn’t like funny characters?

Reviewed by Anonymous, Grade 8
Casa Verdugo Library

Melissa said...

Ravka is torn in two by a darkness called the Shadow Fold that is filled with monsters that feast on human flesh. Alina Starkov reveals her dormant powers when her regiment gets attacked and her best friend gets injured. Her powers are the key to getting rid of the Shadow Fold and setting the Ravka free. Alina is brought to the royal court where she meets the Darkling, a Grisha leader who has the power of darkness. At the royal court, she starts training as a Grisha in order to learn to control her powers and to get rid of the Shadow Fold.

I enjoyed reading this book, however I was slightly disappointed because I was expecting the book to be better than it was. The plot was interesting, however, it was predictable and it was boring to read in some parts. I did like that the world was different from other fantasy books that I have read and I liked the powers that the characters had. I think that young readers would enjoy this book as a first fantasy book to read since it is simple to understand and a quick read. This book was underwhelming since I had heard so many great things about it, but it turned out to be quite boring. I think that the world in the book is really interesting, but there isn't enough action happening in the book.

Reviewed by PM, Grade 12
Glendale Central Library