Monday, October 7, 2019

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom


The book, Five People You Meet In Heaven, was published in 2003. It was written by Mitch Albom. This book is set in both a fictional heaven and in Earth. The main character is the head maintenance man from Ruby Pier named Eddie. Eddie dies in a tragic accident at the pier while trying to save a little girl. After his death, Eddie journeys through heaven meeting five people that have impacted his life. Each person, having had a different role in Eddie's life, teach him new things by reliving moments in the past.

The book, Five People You Meet in Heaven, was a very enjoyable book to read. I learned a lot about life and many other things through reading this book. I learned to always listen to what other people are trying to teach you and to always be a good person because one day you will regret it all. This book showed me that those who love you, will not always show it, but they do. I would highly recommend this book to any teenage readers because it teaches very important life lessons to the reader.

Reviewed by Alexander B., Grade 9
Downtown Central Library

1 comment:

Melissa said...

My personal opinion on the book The Five people you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom is that is was very inspiring and informational. I felt as though this book was constructed very well and kept me highly interested because of the way the book started. This book began with Eddies death and kept reminding us about the little girl Eddie died trying to save, who might actually be dead. If Amy or Annie is actually dead, then this would leave to Eddies death and life being a waste in his eyes. Overall, my favorite setting found in this book was Marguerite's heaven. I felt as though this heaven showed me the beauty of love in life and taught me the important of letting go. Her heaven also taught me that your experiences in life depend on how you look at things, and that life really is all about perspective. I also really enjoyed viewing her perspective on weddings and even death. One important factor i learned from her is that love never dies, which is something that I will never forget. Another factor of this story that i really enjoyed about this book, was how every one of the five people Eddie meet in heaven were connected to Eddie in some unique way. One aspect of this book that I enjoyed reading about, was how besides from just teaching lessons, there are many flashbacks to show that Eddie isn't just absorbing the message from one ear while it goes out the other, but instead locking it inside himself and using the information he learned to adapt and evolve himself. This segment of the book absolutely fascinated me from the fact that he barley knew them but still had such an impact on their lives. On the other hand, this piece of knowledge could have been placed in the novel in order to relate to the blue mans lesson, about everything being connected. I feel as though the best theme expressed in tis book was love. The love between Eddie and Marguerite, Ruby and her Husband, and even peoples love of Ruby pier. The theme of love in this story keeps the book alive. I felt as though this book was a great read, and see myself reading it again just for pleasure. I would definitely recommend this book to many others because of how inspiring it is, and see myself already going to by the sequel in order to keep me happy and continue learning the lessons of many more people in heaven.

Reviewed by E. Kalantaryan , Grade 9
Glendale Public Library