Friday, October 20, 2017

Ivy Chronicles ,by Karen Quinn

The Ivy Chronicles, creatively and humorously written by Karen Quinn, details the struggle of Ivy Ames, a New Yorker living the extravagant life - until she gets fired from her well-paying corporate job and finds out that her husband has been cheating on her with a colleague's wife. Ivy scrambles to piece her life back and tries to downscale her luxurious life. Trying to pull her life together - and her kids - she dreams up the business of arranging clients' little kids into exclusive and first choice kindergartens of their liking, with the help of her new neighbors, Philip and Michael, and her best friend, Faith. In this hilarious take on the difficulties of dealing with over-demanding parents and a new perspective on top-tier schools, Ivy is the unnatural but good-natured heroine with possibly more than a few tricks up her sleeve.

At first glance, it may seem as if Ivy is an annoying, stuck-up woman who should take more time to appreciate the world around her and how worse she could be living. Soon, however, you grow to love her antics and quirks as she faces the world with her courage and determination. I admired those two specific qualities of her and made me root for her all the way through. I unquestionably had my moments when I cringed at her behavior and controversial judgment. Nevertheless, it was difficult to not burst out laughing at when she got herself into an unlucky situation. At times, there were a few mature themes that were presented, but it wasn't incorporated often. All in all, I amazed myself by looking up to none other than Ivy Ames, the woman who could single-handedly take care of her kids' lives - and hers too - through all the hardships she was presented with.To conclude, I really enjoyed reading this novel. If you're looking for an entertaining and comical read, this is it. It kept me on my toes, and I'd be lying if I said that the plot didn't surprise me with its twists. There are slightly mature themes throughout Ivy Chronicles ,by Karen Quinn, but it is lighthearted enough that it really didn't bother me. I would wholeheartedly recommend this story to any one of my friends.

Reviewed by Alena, Grade 9
Downtown Central Library


No comments: