Monday, February 1, 2016

In Real Life: My Journey To A Pixelated World, by Joey Graceffa

The book is about a YouTube star named Joey Graceffa talking about how he became famous on YouTube and the struggles of growing up. He talks about high school for most of the book and how he had so much trouble with school because he never really felt like himself around most people. But when he did try to be him self around people they would make fun of him and tell his he is gay. The book revolves around the idea that the bullying from these kids did not let him grow in to himself and he was very feminine but he was so scared to admit he was gay because his whole life people made fun of him for being gay. It also talks about how he felt like the parent his whole life because he had to deal with his mom who was a alcoholic and dad who left when he was young. The book talks a lot about the struggles he had growing up and how it got him to Los Angeles to become a actor/YouTube personality.

When I first read In Real Life: My Journey To A Pixelated World, by Joey Graceffa, I did not even own it my cousin left it at my house and I just decided to read it. I had no idea who Joey Graceffa was or what he did. But I still really enjoyed this book it was like talking a journey with him and gave me a lot of motivation to strive to do what I want in my life. It is very relatable with the things he says about high school how popularity and the "normal thing to do" can push you away from the things you want to do because you think it might be considered weird. But in reality if you like it do it there is no reason you should stay away from something because it is the unpopular thing to do. I recommend this book to anyone around my age or even older people, but I feel like a younger age can relate to it a lot more.

Reviewed by J., Grade 12
Glendale Central Library

1 comment:

Teen Speak said...

In Real Life: My Journey to a Pixelated World is a beautiful memoir written by a Youtuber named Joey Graceffa and in his book he talks about his journey with Youtube, childhood and self discovery. The book begins with his story about his family when he was growing up. As a child Joey had a rough childhood because his dad had left, he was bullied for acting feminine and his mother would drink so much. Even though his childhood was poor there were some ups while he was growing up. He ended up getting a stepfather (Bob) and he ended up creating a Youtube channel with his best friend Brittany. The main theme in his book is based on how he didn't fit in and how every time something "wonderful" happened, it never lasted. Even through out college he felt like he could not fit in and his friends were not as supportive. His one outlet was Youtube where he created WinterSpringPro with his best friend Brittany. Joey never gave up on his dream (filming) even when he was turned down a couple of times. Towards the end his dream begins to become a reality and this "Pixelated World" is not as pixelated anymore.

I enjoyed how he begins his story with his childhood and he ends it with college. The book gave great advice involving bullying, being yourself or how to act in a certain situation. The book has so much detail I wish I could write it all but you need to read it in order to really connect with his story and Joey. I recommend this book to his fans, people who struggle with bullying, or who is simply having a tough time in life because this book will definitely understand you. I would also read this book because it inspires the toughest moments in life...it helps with encouragement and confidence.

Reviewed by Andrea v., Grade 12
Glendale Central Library