Monday, November 23, 2015

The Time Keeper, by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper, by Mitch Albom, is a novel about Father Time, whose real name is Dor, and his mission to be freed from the pain and anguish of his new and unwanted job. After centuries of being lonely and trapped in a cave with nothing but his memories and voices of strangers asking for more time, he is given the opportunity to free himself of his job by helping a teenage girl named Sarah Lemon and a wealthy business man named Victor Delamonte learn to appreciate the time that they are given.

The Time Keeper was a book that I had been interested in reading and one day I decided to finally start it. Although it didn't meet my expectations and high hopes, it was a good book and I liked the message that it sent about appreciating the time and moments that you have. It teaches you that you should live in the moment instead of wasting your current time wishing for the future. Although the book did get kind of boring at times, my interest in finishing the book never faded.

Reviewed by Nayri T., Grade 12
Casa Verdugo Library

1 comment:

Teen Speak said...

Mitch Albom’s The Time Keeper really makes your brain stop for a second and think about time since the most common phrase said in daily life is “I need more time.” Through his use of very descriptive diction he concludes that instead of praying for more time, people should realize how precious time is and spend it like money. For example, “When you are measuring life, you are not living it,” is said by Albom and I learned that I need to live every single as if it were my last and respect time as it is unlike the characters Sarah and Victor who try to give up life and try to cheat death to live forever.

A friend recommended me this book and told me that I should read the book over summer. At first I wasn't too excited to read the book but once I started to read, I couldn't put the book down. The way Mitch Albom uses diction is just wonderful and breathtaking just like in his other books. I recommend this book to everyone especially high school students because it is important to learn to value time.

Reviewed by Siranush M., Grade 12
Glendale Central Library