Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, by Anonymous

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is an old English novel that tells the tale of King Arthur's court. A knight garbed all in green on a green horse bursts into King Arthur's court at Christmas time and proposes a game to the knights of the Round Table: a knight can have a swing at his head, and in a year, the green knight could reciprocate the blow. The purpose of the game is to challenge the court's famous code of chivalry. Sir Gawain volunteers to play the game, and we see how his values are compromised throughout the novel to prove he is not the knight he thought he was.

Overall, I found this book to be very dull. I had to read it for school, and if I was not assigned this book, I would never have even touched it. The alliteration in every single line made it not only hard to understand, but it also made it harder to read out loud, or even to myself. The plot was just plain uninteresting. I would recommend Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to people who enjoy reading classics, and I would give it a 5 out of 10.

Reviewed by Rebecca S., Grade 9
Glendale Central Library

No comments: