Saturday, July 12, 2014

Choke, by Diana Lopez

Windy is a normal eighth grade girl that becomes friends with a girl named Nina. Nina is in the popular group, so it is a huge change for Windy to be friends with a girl in the popular group. They soon become closer friends, but then realize that they would like to become even closer friends. They want to be breath sisters. To be a breath sister, the other friend has to choke you until you slightly pass out. Then she or he has to wake you up, and you do the same to him or her. Will Windy risk her life to be in the popular group and to become a part of the "in" crowd? Or will she make the right choice and just stay nothing but friends with Nina? Read this fantastic book to see what choice Windy makes.


There were some things that I liked and some things that I didn't like about Choke, by Diana Lopez. I loved the fact that it took place in middle school, because when I was reading it I was i middle school. As I read through the book, I realized how relatable the book was to real life. The way some of the people acted in class or even walking through the halls. I didn't like the fact that there was a "popular group" that acted all snobby, because that isn't how it was in middle school. There was always a "popular goup" but not one that was as powerful as the one in the book. I feel like middle school kids, or ninth graders would love to read this book, because I feel like they could all relate to some of the situations that happened in the book. I really liked this book, and hope that someone will like it too!
Reviewed by Anonymous, Grade 9
Glendale Central Library


No comments: