Thursday, September 5, 2013

Out of My Mind, by Sharon Draper

In Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper, eleven year old Melody has a photographic memory. She's the smartest person in her whole school but no one knows it because Melody can't talk. Most people don't think she's capable of learning so they teach her preschool level lessons again and again. If she could talk then she can tell people what she really knows, but she cant. She can't even walk or write. One day she discovers something that can allow her to talk for the first time ever. Finally she has a voice, but not everyone around her wants to hear it.

I loved this book. This book is very realistic and will make readers think twice about people with disabilities. Melody is an outstanding, intelligent, and kind fictional character that I absolutely loved. This book has a certain finesse that so many books lack nowadays. I was impressed with the author for writing a story from the perspective of someone with cerebral palsy, and thought she did a great job of expressing the difficulties of living with that condition. I thought this book was really detailed and interesting. I would recommend it to anyone because it is just such a fantastic book.

Reviewed By: Emily R., Grade 9
Montrose Library

No comments: