Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I'm Not Her, by Janet Gurtler

i'm not her, by Janet Gurtler, is an amazing, unbelievably touching debut novel. Tess and her sister, Kristina, don't have much in common. Kristina is beautiful, sporty, and popular. Tess is smart, has one friend, and is very shy. And they are all okay with that, until Kristina gets cancer. Out of nowhere, Tess is popular, everyone knows her name and they are dying to know about Kristina. But she has bigger things to worry about. Her family is splitting, her sister might be dying, and her parents live in denial. She has to be strong, though, if she isn't, then who will be?

To be honest, this wasn't a book I was expecting to be as fantastic as it was. It was a "cool name, cool cover" choice. But I am really glad I did choose it because i'm not her is an absolute must read! I was touched several times in the story and found myself tearing up. Not only was it a fantastic, not to mention realistic, book, it was very relatable. I would 100% recommend this book to ALL teenage girls because they will love this book and possibly relate very well.

-Reviewed by Kristine, grade 9.

No comments: