Thursday, July 12, 2012

Nothing But the Truth, And A Few White Lies, by Justina Chen Headley

Patty Ho is an everyday American teenager living with her close to perfect brother and her overprotective, high-standard, single typical Asian mother. Her father is a white and her mother took them away from him before Patty could remember. Her weird tall figure makes her stand out from the rest of the "china dolls" or petite and cute Asians she is compared to. She spends her summer at math camp in Standford where she meets a few interesting people who make a great impact on her life. She experiences exhileration, embarassment and leads to a deeper, more meaningful relationship with her mother in this fantastic story. I would suggest this to anyone, but most especially a close friend of mine who could relate just about as much as me. It was one of the few books where I laughed aloud to myself and I felt like I got into the main character's head. It shows all the embarassing inside moments of a modern family with real problems of jealousy and broken families and heartaches. It was an amazing find and I had a feeling I would enjoy this book when I picked it up.

-Reviewed by J.P. , grade 8.


No comments: