Monday, November 21, 2011

The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery

The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery, is a book that, although I picked up because it sounded intriguing (a twelve year old genius who is already so disgusted with society that she plans to kill herself on her thirteenth birthday?), I kept reading it because I think it helped enrich my mind. Renee is an old widowed concierge of a high-class apartment building, who adores art, literature, and all cultural things. She feels the need to hide this side of her from the world to fit the stereotypical concierge mold. Meanwhile, Paloma (the suicidal twelve year old) writes philosophical haiku that both ridicule modern life and describe her own spiritual growth as she tries to achieve her greatest heights before the deadline of her birthday. Their lives both change when a Japanese man name Ozu moves into the building. This book was translated from French. I am so overwhelmed by this book that I cannot simply go on and ruin the ending for the readers. I would give this book ten stars!

For someone like me, who is intrigued with philosophy, and loves books that will captivate my mind and give me something to think about, this book was perfect! I recommend this book to intelligent people who are willing to spend a lot of time thinking philosophically. I would also recommend it to those who wish to further their mind and think outside the box.


-Reviewed by A.A, grade 12.

No comments: