Monday, December 13, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney

In the cartoon novel, Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney, Greg Heffley is starting middle school as a scrawny and nerdy kid who has been given a diary to write on. He records his amusing takes on school, bullies, family, and his less than popular friend, Rowley. Things don't always go as planned for Greg, but as he says in the story, "I'll be famous one day, but for now, I'm stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons."
Even though it was an easy read for me, I liked this book and bought the next three in the series as well. Each page has one or more funny cartoons on it that actually depict middle school life accurately, and comically. It's one of the funniest books I've read this year and I would recommend it to kids and teens. (I don't think my mom appreciated some of the parts that made fun of parents).
-Reviewed by Anonymous, grade 9.

2 comments:

Teen Speak said...

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney is a story about a boy named Greg Heffeley in his transition into middle school. Greg writes about his daily life in this diary. However, he says it is a journal, not a diary. In middle school, he seems to understand what to say and how to act.His friend, Rowley, has not done the same. Rowley is a someone that acts like he is in elementary even though he is in middle school. Now, Greg and Rowley must take the journey into middle school life.

In my opinion, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is book that really catches your attention. The author's writing style is unique in it's own way. This book is humorous at times and can make you feel happy inside. You can really connect with this story if you are going through a transition of your own. The book portrays the stereotypical lifestyle at a middle school. I like the idea of the Cheese Touch being a significant factor in the story.

Reviewed by Bernard M., grade 9
Pacific Park Library

Teen Speak said...

In Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney a boy named Greg is just starting his first year of middle school with his best friend Rowley. They get caught up in challenging events like running away from teenagers on Halloween, wrestling, and acting in a play. Greg accidentally breaks Rowley's arm and they slowly grow apart, but are brought back together by the dreaded cheese.

In my opinion this is a great book about a kid with bad luck. Its a nice book about him overcoming all of the challenges of a new school. It kind of reminds me when I first started middle school.

Nicholas D., grade 9
Montrose Crescenta Branch