Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold, is different than any other book that I have read because it is about a girl named Susie Salmon. She is the main character, but unlike most books where the character is alive, she is in her own heaven watching the world go on without her living anymore. She talks about her family and her killer, she tries to give hints to her family about who her killer is. She watches and wishes she could see everyone again, she discovers the impact she had on her friends and family. I really wanted to know more about what happened in the book. My predictions were wrong, but that is what made the book very interesting. I recommend this book to any teenager, especially those who have younger siblings, they will realize how much they look up to older siblings. I read the book twice already and will probably read more of Alice's books, since I bought her book "Lucky". -YC, grade 10.

2 comments:

Teen Speak said...

This book was unlike anything I had read before and brought up so many things and perspectives that I had never thought of before. It was very suspenseful and exciting. It really grabs your attention and you can't take your eyes off the page. This book would appeal to any type of reader. This is the type of book that everyone can find something that they like about it. This is by far the most significant and intriguing book that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It made my heart beat fast and was really enjoyable to read.
Reviewed by Melody, Grade 9.

Teen Speak said...

The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold, is a novel narrated by a 14 year old girl named Susie Salmon. She narrates from Heaven after recounting her rape and murder by her neighbor Mr. Harvey. She watches from above as the aftermath and effects of her disappearance and investigation takes place. As the police investigation launches, Susie witnesses the strain her family is put through and how the effects take their toll on her loved ones.

Wow. This book was so powerful, I was crying constantly throughout it. Although it was hard to get through at times because when it wasn’t slightly boring it was too raw and real for me to fathom, I’m happy I read it. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries and drama.

Reviewed by Nayri T., Grade 12
Casa Verdugo Library