Monday, September 22, 2008

Atonement, by Ian McEwan

Atonement, by Ian McEwan, has recently appeared on the big screen. Despite this, the book is undoubtedly on a level of its own. It is written through the eyes of a young girl who is forever changed by an event. Briony has just witnessed her sister, Cecilia, having a possibly dangerous encounter with their servant boy. Briony is in complete shock of this, and seeks to tell what she has seen. As I was reading this book, I couldn't help to compare it to the movie. Though, I quickly found out the book is written so vividly and built upon such real characters, it's bound to be one of your favorites. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking an unforgettable romance. - Reviewed by Christina, grade 11.

1 comment:

Teen Speak said...

Atonement takes place in England during World War I.The first half of the novel focuses on one day in a seemingly idyllic setting, when suddenly everything goes wrong. Briony Tallis, the thirteen year old protagonist, misinterprets an interaction between her older sister and the house gardener,Robbie Turner. Her actions impact all three of their lives largely, and the novel is meant as an atonement (hence the title) for her wrong doings.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly. The dramatic quality of writing and attention to detail fit with the novel as a whole. What I liked most was the scenic descriptions- I could picture the setting wholey, and had no trouble materializing the characters as well. I would recommend this for anyone who is interested in a perspective of World War I from an unusual source.

Reviewed by: Nelli A., grade: 11
Pacific Park Library