Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Child Called It, by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called It, by Dave Pelzer, is about a boy's intense courage to survive from one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. When Dave Pelzer was young, he was beaten and starved physically and mentally by his crazy mother who was alcoholic. One day, his mother "accidentally" stabbed him on his ribs for not finishing dishwashing in time. Not only that, his mother starved him for ten consecutive days and tortured him with cold water, burning stove, and more. His helpless dad and his brothers just watched him suffer alone. Despite his age, he learned to play his mother's games in order to survive because she didn't consider him a son, but a slave. Later, a school teacher and a nurse help him out and free him from his mother. In my opinion, this book was great and it planted a different idea of serious case of child abusing. Before I read this book, I didn't even know this kind of child abuse case existed. I was inspired by Dave Pelzer because he survived and grew to be a successful man even though he was deeply hurt in his heart by his parents and brothers. Thinking about Dave Pelzer's hard times, I learned that I should be grateful for my parents for not starving and beating me. I would rate this book FIVE STARS for his inspiration for many people to fight against abuse cases. Way to go Mr. Pelzer! - Reviewed by Joseph, grade 9. .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this book a couple weeks ago and It made me cry so hard that I could feel the pain myself. But he had the courage to push and move on. If I was Dave I would of gave up a long time ago, just waiting to die. I can only imagine the pain he went though just to get meal. The book made me realize I have a mother whom loves me and cares for me. It made me realize how lucky I am for the mother I have.

Anonymous said...

This story is about a kid named Dave who is being mentally and physically abused by his mom. His mom would make him eat his own vomit, forced to sit on hot stove, sleep in the basement were only few of the way she punished Dave for no reasons. Although it was hard Dave fought his way through by hoping and willpower.

During reading this book it really touched my heart to see how a young boy was treated really broke my heart. By reading this book i realized that no matter how hard the situation is i can overcome it. I would recommend it only if the reader can handle violence and cruelty.

Reviewed by Yechan, grade 9
Montrose Library

Anonymous said...

This book is about a child that was abuse his whole life by his emotionally unstable alcoholic mother . His mother would play games that would torture her child , she would starve him and beat him close to dead . He had to learn to play his mothers games in other to survive . At the few chances he had food to eat it would just be scraps of food something you wouldn't even feed a dog . The only thing that kept him alive was his dreams of one day being love by someone and being taken care for and have some one call him son.

I think this book was very depressing and it was really unfair how he got treated and a child . Is ridiculous how a much a mother can't make a kid suffer just because she wants to play games.

Reviewed by Juan M., grade 12
Glendale Central Library




Teen Speak said...

Dave Pelzer courageously tells his experience as the victim of one of the most severe cases of child abuse in Californian history. He recounts his story of being physically and mentally abused by his mentally ill ,who starved, beat, and tormented him inhumanely; and he he was able to maintain hope and find the bravery to remain determined to survive through the abuse at a young age. A survivor, he lives to educate the world about the evils of childhood.

This was an unforgettable account. In order to survive the horrific circumstances , he shut down emotionally and fought to get through each day, miraculously surviving through extreme malnutrition and beatings which could very well have killed him. The story is told from the point of view of David as a child, which gave readers an insight into the thoughts of young David as he was experiencing the horrors he encountered.

I definitely cannot say that I like the story, because to enjoy such a book would be inhumane. However, it was definitely eye opening and informing. His writing techniques, although not the greatest, are definitely excusable. Nevertheless, he was able to get his message across to readers through the graphic descriptions of his experiences.

Pelzer is an extremely admirable and inspiring individual, who displayed the qualities of problem solver, unfaltering courage, and perseverance even at a young age. His incredible inner strength gave him the ability to turn shame into pride, and to transform into an emotionally healthy adult. The main moral he is trying to communicate is to be grateful of all your blessings, including a receival of love, and to always keep in mind that things could always be worse.

Reviewed by R.O., Grade 10
Casa Verdugo Library